The Stair Prize in Writing Contest
Do you write short stories? Would you like to win a really big prize? Enter the 3rd annual Stair Prize in Writing and try your best to impress our judges!
- Submit only one entry per person.
- "An act of kindness" is the 2017 phrase you will include in a mystery, fantasy, science fiction, or other type of story.
- The short story must be 500 to 1,000 words (approximately 2-4 typed, double-spaced pages.) Use Word, text, or PDF formats only. Please include page numbers.
- Entries must include the Official Entry Form, unless submitted electronically. Please do not include any personally identifying information on the pages of the story. Keep a copy of your story as entries will not be returned.
- Entries with offensive content - explicit violence, sexuality, language, or material considered offensive to any religious or ethnic groups, gender, or physically or mentally challenged persons - will be disqualified.
- The Stair Prize Writing Committee and Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library employees and their families are not eligible.
- Submit your entry in person or by mail to:
Jan Kaminis Platt Regional Library
Attn: Stair Prize in Writing Contest
3910 S. Manhattan Ave.
Tampa, FL 33611 or submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Story Contest and Judging
- Open to Hillsborough County students in grades 7 and 8.
- A panel of judges will determine the contest winner. The judges' decision is final.
- The $500 cash prize will be awarded to a single winner.
- The contest runs from Monday, October 23 to Friday, November 17.
- The deadline for entries is Midnight, Friday, November 17.
- The prize winner will be notified by Friday, December 8.
- The prize winner will be awarded on Wednesday, December 20.
This contest is funded by the Friends of the Jan Kaminis Platt Regional Library through a grant from the Ralph Stair Foundation.