Subject: Requests (Holds)
Effective: March 13, 2017
Supercedes: January, 2016
Review: 2 Years
- The library provides a Requests (Holds) service to facilitate customer access to materials that are currently checked out, at another branch, or on order.
- Requesting library materials is a free service provided to all registered HCPLC borrowers with active accounts.
- A maximum of twenty (20) Requests (Holds) at one time is allowed. A maximum of ten (10) Digital Video Discs (DVDs), ten (10) juvenile DVDs, ten (10) DVDs Restricted, and ten (10) Compact Discs (CDs) each are allowed at one time. These count within the overall maximum of twenty (20).
- Requests (Holds) may be placed on most circulating items. They may not be placed on reference material, Bookmobile and Cybermobile items, realia items, periodicals, or board books.
- Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative (HCPLC) member libraries in Plant City and Temple Terrace reserve the right to exempt certain materials from system-wide Requests (Holds) placement.
- Notifications are sent to customers by telephone, text, or e-mail when requested items are available for pickup.
- Customer account balances must be brought to $5 or less and expired cards renewed before checking out requested items.
- Requests (Holds) expire one year after they are placed. The expiration date may be modified. Requests (Holds) may be suspended any length of time as determined by the customer.
- Request Manager and Reports
- The Pending Holds List is printed, searched, and reconciled daily at each library location to facilitate filling of customer requests (Holds).
- The Unclaimed Holds List is also run daily at each library location so that customer requests (Holds) not picked up by the requestor can be pulled and be made available for circulation by others.
- Pickup of Held Requests (Holds)
- The pickup due date is determined when the item is checked in at the pickup location. The pickup period is five days, including weekends, but excluding any days libraries are closed.
- Requests (Holds) can be transferred to and picked up at any THPL library, Cooperative member libraries in Plant City and Temple Terrace, and at the Sun City Center Library.
- A Held Request (Hold) is filled only when it is checked out at the proper pickup location.
- Anyone picking up a hold for someone other than the requestor shall be required to present the library card of the customer for which the item is being held in accordance with LS 102 Customer Record Privacy and Florida Statutes, Chapter 257.261.
- Requests (Holds) for Bookmobile, Cybermobile, and Books by Mail Customers
- Books By Mail holds are sent to the John Germany Library for processing.
- A Germany staff member checks out the requested items to the customer, then forwards to the Technical Services Center for mailing to the customer's home.
- Bookmobile and Cybermobile holds are sent to the 78th Street Community Library for processing.
- A Mobile Services staff member loads the requested items on the buses on the scheduled day of the customers’ stop for pickup by the customer, extending the hold period as needed.
- Customers may return these items to any branch, the Bookmobile, the Cybermobile, or by mail.
- Request Manager and Reports
Pursuant to Section 5(1) of Chapter 84-443, Laws of Florida, the Public Library Board has the duty and the responsibility, among others, to serve in a recommending capacity to the Director of Library Services and to the County Administrator in respect to all matters pertaining to the public library.