Subject: Interlibrary Loans
Effective: November 1, 2014
Supercedes: March 28, 2013
Review: 2 Years
- The library provides an interlibrary loan service (ILL) to Hillsborough County residents with materials not owned by the Hillsborough County Public Library Cooperative (HCPLC).
- The library will attempt to borrow materials for Hillsborough County residents from other libraries when copies are not available in the library’s own collection and such borrowing will not conflict with the library’s Materials Selection policies.
- ILL procedures have the goal of obtaining requested materials in the most time- and cost-efficient manner.
- HCPLC does not lend materials to people incarcerated in prisons.
- ILL requests may be submitted directly by library customers using online request forms accessible via the library's Web page. Library staff can also assist borrowers in submitting ILL requests.
- The following terms govern the use of interlibrary loan:
- Borrowers placing ILL requests must have a current HCPLC library card in good standing.
- Non-HCPLC customers and borrowers from other counties (including non- resident HCPLC card holders) must request ILL service from their local county or municipal libraries or from the Florida State Library.
- A maximum of three (3) ILL requests may be active at one time. ILL requests received above this limit will not be accepted.
- ILL requests will be counted as part of the number of overall holds (20) on a customer’s account.
- ILL service is not available for borrower pick-up at Bookmobile, Cybermobile, Electronic Libraries, the Sun City Center Library or other partner locations.
- Loan periods for ILL items are set by the lending libraries and are generally 45 days. Renewals are not allowed.
- HCPLC grace periods and renewals do not apply to ILL items; therefore, they must be returned by the due date.
- ILL materials are subject to fines and fees as stated in LS 1510: Fines and Fees.
- Categories of materials not available for ILL borrowing include:
- Materials that are on order or that were published within the last 12 months,
- Mass market paperbacks,
- Audio-visual media,
- Publications issued more than 50 years previous,
- Library digital collections,
- Duplicates of HCPLC Reference materials.
- Items requested through ILL may incur fees determined by the lending libraries. Explanation of fees will be provided to borrowers prior to the library’s request for an item. Payment for such fees must be made prior to the library’s request for an item by check or money order payable to the lending library.
- Other limitations (i.e. “in-library use only”) may be placed on materials by lending libraries.
- ILL requests will be reviewed by library staff for possible purchase for the library’s collection. Borrowers may also submit requests for materials via the Purchase Suggestion option on the Library’s Web page.
Pursuant to Section 5(1) of Chapter 84-443, Laws of Florida, the Public Library Board has the duty and the responsibility, among others, to serve in a recommending capacity to the Director of Library Services and to the County Administrator in respect to all matters pertaining to the public library.