Subject: Time Management Software on Internet Computers
Effective: March 1, 2016
Supercedes: April 1, 2010
- This policy describes the utilization of time management software at specific Tampa-Hillsborough County Public Library (the "Library") locations, as determined by Library staff, in order to provide customers with fair and equitable access to Internet computers by implementing a more efficient Internet computer sign-in process.
- The Library shall install time management software on its Internet computers, at such locations as determined by Library Staff, which uses a customer’s library card number and last name to grant access to an Internet computer. Customers may only log onto an available Internet computer, or place a reservation for use of an Internet computer, by using the customer’s personal library card number.
- Time management software will not be used to track how an individual customer uses an Internet computer once logged on. The time management software may be used, however, to generate a statistical record of the number of Internet computer users.
- Internet session lengths shall be limited to one hour per session. Customers may have additional sessions if no other customers are waiting or have placed a reservation for use of the Internet computer. Customers shall be granted a maximum of two (2) hours per day access on the Internet Computers, which shall be strictly enforced. Customers will be given the option to extend a session for 15 additional minutes - only when no one else is waiting – for a total daily maximum of 2 hours and 30 minutes. When all Internet computers are in use, customers may use the Reservation Station to reserve an Internet computer for the next available time. Such reservation shall be honored only if the customer is present at the time requested to access the Internet computer. If the customer arrives after the reserved time and no Internet computer is available for his or her use, such customer must wait until an Internet computer becomes available or make another reservation.
- All Internet sessions in a particular Library location shall end at closing time of that Library location.
- Current Registered Borrowers:
- Customers must use their personal library card number and last name to log onto an Internet computer or place a reservation for the use of an Internet computer.
- Customers must update expired library cards and resolve delinquent fines exceeding $10.00 before they can log onto an Internet computer or place a reservation for the use of an Internet computer.
- A registered Customer who wants to access the Internet computers, but who does not bring his or her library card must show appropriate identification as outlined in LS 103 Library Card Registration & Renewals in order for library staff to provide their library card number.
- Guest Pass:
- Each location using time management software will maintain a small number of guest passes to be used as temporary access for customers who are not residents of Hillsborough County.
- Guest Passes are only valid for one day at the issuing library location for a maximum of 2 hours and 30 minutes. They may be discarded after use.
- In order to obtain a guest card, customers must show valid identification (as outlined in LS 103.3E).
- (4) A library branch may choose to keep a daily log of guest pass distribution. Branch Supervisors should discuss this option with their Regional Manager before implementation. All guest card logs will be handled in accordance with the policy for Internet sign-in sheets in LS 306 Access to Electronic Resources.
- Current Registered Borrowers:
Pursuant to Section 5(1) of Chapter 84-443, Laws of Florida, the Library Board has the duty and the responsibility, among others, to serve in a recommending capacity to the Director of Library Services and to the County Administrator in respect to all matters pertaining to the public library.