Subject: Abandoned and Unauthorized Vehicles on Library Property
Effective: April 28, 2016
Supercedes: December 1, 2010
- The Library provides a uniform process for handling the towing of vehicles that are abandoned or parked after hours, overnight or in inappropriate locations on library property that is in compliance with Hillsborough County Parking Ordinance (Hillsborough County, FL., Code Ordin. § 37-31-40).
- The Library and/or the county administrator can authorize parking on library property to be utilized by county, state or other governmental personnel for use in connection with their functions and duties. Additionally, library administration can authorize parking on library property to individuals, organizations and/or governmental personnel.
- Unauthorized vehicles left on library property after hours or overnight will have a Warning Notice placed under the driver’s side windshield wiper by library branch supervisor or designated staff. Vehicles will be subject to removal if determined to be abandoned.
- Vehicles will be considered abandoned if left on library property for over 48 hours. Abandoned vehicles are subject to removal by the authorized towing company.
- Vehicles will be considered inappropriately parked if they are parked outside of designated parking spaces (or in multiple parking spaces), on sidewalks or crosswalks, in designated disabled parking spaces without proper permit, parked in driveways or in safety zones, blocking entrances or exits, left on library property overnight or parked on library property for purposes other than the use of the library. Vehicles may be subject to removal by the authorized towing company after three warning notices have been issued to the same vehicle within a 30 day period.
- Library staff will attempt to notify owners of vehicles parked inappropriately on library property. Failure to move/remove vehicles parked inappropriately may result in towing by the authorized towing company and/or law enforcement being contacted.
- A written log of vehicles receiving warning notices and/or removed from library property will be kept by each branch and shared with the telephone call center at the John F. Germany Public Library (JFG).
- The authorized towing company will provide signage in accordance with Florida Statute 715.07 for each library branch location. Signs must be posted at each entrance and exit. Signs will also be placed at each entrance clearly stating parking area restrictions (i.e. no loitering, no overnight parking, parking for library use only).
- If a vehicle is left abandoned on library property for over 48 hours, the branch supervisor or other designated staff may notify the authorized towing company to remove the vehicle.
- When an abandoned vehicle is removed from library property, an e-mail must be sent to the branch staff and the Regional Manager noting the authorized towing company, the vehicle license tag number and the date and time the vehicle was towed. Staff will log the date of notice/removal, make, model, license plate number, VIN number (if visible) and any other necessary details about the vehicle on the Abandoned & Unauthorized Vehicle Log, located on the Library’s shared network drive.
- Unauthorized vehicles left on library property outside of regular library hours and unauthorized vehicles left on library property overnight will have a Warning Notice placed under their driver’s side windshield wiper referencing library policy, requesting compliance and noting consequences of failure to use library parking within stated guidelines
- When vehicles are determined to be parked inappropriately on library property, staff will attempt to contact the driver using the library’s intercom system or by word of mouth. After reasonable attempts have been made to locate the driver, staff will place a notice on the vehicle, contact law enforcement, and/or contact the authorized towing company for removal depending on the location and/or duration of the inappropriate parking.
- F. After a warning notice has been placed on a vehicle, or a vehicle has been removed from library property by the authorized towing company, staff will log the date of notice/removal, make, model, license plate number, VIN number (if visible) and any other necessary details about the vehicle on the Abandoned & Unauthorized Vehicle Log, located on the Library’s shared network drive,
Pursuant to Section 5(1) of Chapter 84-443, Laws of Florida, the Library Board has the duty and the responsibility, among others, to serve in a recommending capacity to the Director of Library Services and to the County Administrator in respect to all matters pertaining to the public library.