James J. Lunsford Law Library
Using the Law Library
- Can I use my library card to check out books from the Law Library?
- The Law Library’s core collection is reference only and does not circulate. However, we do have a small rotating selection of books that can be checked out, as well as CLE CDs for attorneys to keep up with their required continuing legal education hours.
- Can I place a hold or have items delivered to the Law Library?
- Yes. You can sign into your HCPLC account and place a hold on an item to be delivered to the Law Library for pick up. Also, items can be returned to the law library regardless from which branch they were checked out.
- Can I use my own Westlaw password at the library?
- Yes, on the computers available for internet access, but your account will be charged - not the law library’s account.
- If I am a lawyer, do I get special privileges at the Law Library?
- The only service offered exclusively to attorneys is the lending of The Florida Bar’s Continuing Legal Education CDs. Non-attorneys or attorneys who do not qualify for lending may still use the CLE materials in the library.
- Can the library employees give me legal advice or help me fill out forms?
- No, staff members are librarians with specialized skills in legal materials. The law can be very complex and you should only seek legal advice from a licensed attorney. The staff will assist you as much as possible without crossing the line of “unauthorized practice of law.”
- Can the library refer me to a lawyer or firm that deals with the topic I am researching?
- Staff cannot refer you themselves but can provide the contact information for the Hillsborough County Bar Association’s Lawyers’ Referral Service – 813-221-7780 or online.
- Are there rooms available for mediations or meetings?
- Yes, there are five conference rooms available. There is no cost for their use, but it is a good idea to reserve a room in advance if you need to notify different parties. Reservation requests are processed on a first come, first served basis. To reserve a room(s) please call 813-272-5818. If available, an individual patron can use a room for up to two hours, or slightly longer if there is no one reserved or waiting.